Airstream Restoration of Scott and Kathy's 1955 Flying Cloud Whale Tail - Our California Vintage Airstream.

Monday, March 3, 2014

Whale Tail Removed - Too Much - Creased, Stretched and Dented


We tried to save the original end cap panels.  Really tried.
The big dent is too big.  Too deep.  Too creased.












Permanently creased, the dented aluminum panels of the street-side end cap are again removed for replacement patterns.

Okay, here's the thing. I am not the handy one in the family. So as well as learning lots - my job is to document the process. So if anyone has any suggestions for how to improve this vintage Airstream blog, please do share with me using the comments feature below. Seriously, I'd like to think that I am not the only one reading this....

4 comments:

  1. You are not the only one reading this blog. I live in New Mexico and New York is just a little too far for a quick stop for this amount of detailed information. I just placed the shell back onto my 55 FC, so everything is valuable to me. Thanks for your excellent documentation.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gary!
    Thanks for the encouragement!
    I'd love to see photos of your 55 - or maybe we will meet up when our wheels are rolling!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's a really useful blog and enjoy following along. Comments….It could be because I only use a mac but when I click on a picture it opens up in another pop up window but it's still the same size, I guess I'm always looking for more detail even if it's not there…..
    I'm stoked to see how the AC installation goes and if there's more info on the unit you guys chose I know I'm not the only one interested.
    Keep up the great work, William

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Gary I was hoping that the documentation helps!
    Colin traveled to Alumaflamingo, and so was away from "the office".
    When he returns, realizing I am not his only client/project, yet I'd like to have the 1955 work continue.
    I also am looking forward to his cardboard mock-up to see his installation ideas.
    Kathy

    Next week - I'll try to work to get more photos on the share site - https://byams55flyingcloud.shutterfly.com/

    ReplyDelete