Airstream Restoration of Scott and Kathy's 1955 Flying Cloud Whale Tail - Our California Vintage Airstream.

Saturday, January 25, 2014

Strapping Tanks

Below the floor, will be two gray water tanks, and also 2 fresh water tanks.  These are standard 16 gallon tanks, now available at Vintage Trailer Supply - saves lots of money!  The metal straps, fabricated by Colin Hyde,  will keep the tanks secured in between the main rails.








UPDATE 2/6/2014 -  Colin Hyde's reply to Gary's question.

I have a 55 Flying Cloud also. I'm in the process of installing the water tanks now. Why do the straps have a loop in them? They don't have a "loop" in them. They are formed like a "C" with short legs on either end. This allows us to install the bolts longitudinally instead of vertically, causing protrusions in the bellypan. It also allows us to put tension on the straps.  How are they secured on the topside (is it just pressure against the bottom of the floor)? The tanks are up against the underside of the floor & foam blocks minimize lateral movement. 
Coli

5 comments:

  1. I have a 55 Flying Cloud also. I'm in the process of installing the water tanks now. Why do the straps have a loop in them? How are they secured on the topside (is it just pressure against the bottom of the floor)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anonymous!
    Thanks for asking!!
    To be the best help, I've asked Colin Hyde for his help.
    By the way, this is not the final installation of the tank, just a fitting.
    I've already posted a couple more times with more information.
    And will have much more photos and information later this week!
    Are you using VTS tanks?
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy,
      Yes I have the same 15 Gallon VTS tank. The shell is off and now is the perfect time for tank installation. I have been watching the progress of your 55 with much appreciation for the excellent documentation. This is essential for a novice like me. Thank you.
      Gary

      Delete
    2. Hi Gary!
      Thanks for the great question!
      Colin Hyde helped with more information. I've added an update to this post.
      Glad to know you are reading my blog - thanks!
      Kathy

      Delete
  3. Hi Gary!
    I'm so glad that my blog is helping!
    And I'd love to see photos of your project.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete